The Widford Relief In Need Charity is made up of three charities:
1. Mary Mason’s Charity, founded by a will dated November 2nd 1808.
2. The Charity of an Unknown Donor.
3. The Charity is known as the Poor House.
These three were amalgamated in 1896 into one, which was thereafter known collectively as Widford Relief In Need of Charity.
Back in 1896, donations were given to cover particular needs within the community. Entries in the Minutes Book range from a £5 donation to the nursing fund (“as long as a clause is put in the rules that the nurse does not attend any contagious cases”), 10 shillings for urgent dental treatment and help for “two poor boys” to attend school. One resident remembers that their own grandparents were always pleased to receive their sack of coal at Christmas time.
The only income nowadays comes from just two sources. The first is the rental of Poors Land, a field of some 14 acres situated along Green Lane (Green Lane, unsigned, leads off Medcalf Hill to Howletts Road). The second is from a charitable trust with similar aims which is administered by the Parochial Church Council.
There are five Trustees. The Chairman is the Rector, two Trustees are appointed by the Parish Council and two other trustees are co-opted. It is expected these will have knowledge of the Parish of Widford. We have two meetings per year, usually in June and November.
The Trustees are very aware of the changing needs in our community and strive to make the best use of a small fund.
For further information, please contact the Rector in the first instance.
Revd. Mark Dunstan. (01920) 877276
Notice Date: 01/01/2020